Peculiaresque interview

A few months ago Erica from Peculiaresque emailed me introducing her super cute brand and we decided it would be mutually beneficial to collaborate, so several emails later I managed to pull together one of the best interviews I have ever done. I hope you enjoy:

~~~~~~~~~

1.                   What hobbies do you have?
I paint and sew a lot, and I like reading and writing. I also love food, both cooking it and eating it.

2.       Music interests?
I never know what to say when people ask me what music I like, the only answer I have is listing a ton of artists. I walk a lot, and I enjoy listening to music when I do. I love Throw Me the Statue, Port O'Brien, Little Joy, Fleet Foxes, among others. Right now I think my favorite song is Wraith Pinned to the Mist and Other Games by Of Montreal.

3.       What is your favorite:

Book
Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer. Definitely worth reading. Many times.

Film
I have a tendency to forget what movies I like, even if I've really enjoyed them. Somehow two movies come to mind, for some reason french, Amélie and Le Hérisson. I have a rather strained relationship to the French language after six years of detesting it in school, yet I must (reluctantly) admit that it is a rather pretty language.

Magazine
I very rarely read any, so I can't really say I have any favorites.

App
The app I use the most is Nightstand. I love waking up to the song of my choice (at the moment I Woke Up Today by Port O'Brien), and the fact that my phone becomes a flashlight when I shake it is very practical when you're stumbling around in the dark looking for the lightswitch.

4.       What are your main resources of inspiration
I keep a notepad next to my bed every night, as I often have sudden surges of inspiration when I'm trying to fall a sleep. I also have ideas pop into my head when I'm walking and listening to music, so my phone is full of badly written notes explaining ideas. I think I go into some deeply concentrated thinking mode, and if I don't write my ideas down before I leave that mode I forget them. My home and my family is a chaos, both in a charming way and in a depressingly frustrating way, and just being at home can be rather inspiring, when it's not maddening. For my latest collection, my dogs, Billie, Kaya and Doris, and my cat The Cat, were sources of inspiration, as well as a painting by my great grandfather Edward.

5.       When you were growing up what did you want to be?  Did you always have the fashion industry in mind?
To be perfectly honest, I've never really had the fashion industry in mind until the day I decided on starting Peculiaresque. I've always had an interest in pretty things in general, and I've always enjoyed making things, including clothes, and I've been making sketches of things I'd like to sew for many years, but being a designer never really occurred to me until that day. Until I was about 13 I refused to wear anything that was considered cool because I was terrified someone would think I was trying to be cool (which I obviously wasn't). This resulted in me wearing a lot of boys' clothing. At that point I don't think anyone would have guessed I would want to be a designer.
Even now, I still haven't decided on fashion as the one thing I want to spend my life doing, and I don't think I ever will. There are plenty of things, way too many in fact, that I'm passionate about, and I plan to spend my life doing as many of them as possible, and as well as I possibly can. Being a designer is one of those things. Right now I'm taking a bachelor in philosophy, that's another one of those things. Growing up, I wanted to be a marine biologist for a very long time. I also had a popstar phase  where I together with my best friend Karoline formed a band and made hits such as “Don't Fight”, “My Best Friend”, and “Be Nice to Animals”. There was also a time when I was determined to be a bus driver.

6.       5 interesting facts about yourself as a designer

-        I hate pronouncing Peculiaresque.
-        I love children's books, and they inspire me a lot.
-        I am not at all a perfectionist, although I wish I were.
-        Peculiaresque was officially born on my 18th birthday.
-        I enjoy walking, both on trails and on sidewalks, and I'm often inspired by things I see when walking.

7.       Do you have any tips on starting up your own brand?
I think the most important thing I've learned is that it's extremely important to take your time when designing, and to work on your designs until you're completely positive that you're happy with them. For my first collection, I made the mistake of being extremely eager and very impatient, and I had decided on my designs within a day. Looking back, I know I would have been happier with the result if I'd spent more time working on the designs. I spent more time on the designs for my second collection, and I'm quite proud of the result. However, I don't really feel I'm in a position to give tips on starting a brand, as my number of sales suggest I haven't done a particularly good job myself.

8.       Can you sum up Peculiaresque in a few sentences?
Right now, a financial disaster, but a lot of fun. Also, it's very personal, as I've done pretty much everything from start to finish myself, apart from the actual sewing. The website, the designs, the photographs, everything. The clothes are inspired by my family and my home and things that are familiar to me and that I care about. I've used my sister and my boyfriend as models, and I shot the pictures on my favorite place on earth, on Cape Cod. So everything is very personal, which I think is nice.

9.       Why did you want to start Peculiaresque?
It was sort of a creative urge I had to make my sketches into reality, mostly just for fun. I thought it would be a very exciting project, and I definitely still think it is. I never really expected to make any money as a designer, only enough to cover my expenses so I can keep on designing, as a hobby, because I love it so much.

10.   Where do you shop the most?
I like to shop from the comfort of my bed, on the internet. It's dangerously convenient  A little here and a little there, I shop from anywhere.

11.   Favourite colour?
Green. Or the color of chocolate.

12.   Describe your personal style
I'm most happy with my outfit when I feel elegant yet fun and interesting, and comfortable (which is why I refuse to wear pants), so that's usually what aim for. However, It's hard to say how well I normally achieve this.

13.   Do you have any style icons?
I can't think of any names, so I guess i'll have to answer no. But of course there have been plenty of times where I've seen a really great outfit and admired whoever was wearing it.

14.   How is Peculiaresque different?
I like to think that I create fun and interesting clothes, and that they are peculiar and pretty. Obviously I'm not the only one who creates fun and interesting clothes, and I can think of many brands who achieve this a lot better that I do. I suppose that the fact that it's such a personal project has to make it different in some sense. Sadly, I'm having a really hard time answering this question, which cannot be a good sign.

15.   How would you style this item from your collection?

‘Thirsty cat t-shirt’


1)
Colorful shoes:
a blue high-waisted skirt, either in denim or something a bit more interesting, like this:

2)                  A black chunky necklace, either a geometric bib necklace, or something like this: 


A black pencil skirt (short + tight = a party outfit, longer + looser = more sophisticated) Example:

Heels. I love these:
But simple black pumps would do.

3)                  for a casual and a bit sporty outfit, a high-waisted pair of shorts 


and a pair of really sporty and colorful shoes, like these:

and something like this:

How Chic Geek Blogger would style it

--------

Geek xx



My current thoughts:

via TumbleBoard for iPhone and iPad
Please:
can you nominate me for the 'Best Teen Fashion Blog' in the Company Blog Awards 2013:

5 comments:

  1. I love the fish necklace :D great post x

    www.krystelcouture.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chanced upon your blog and enjoy reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, loving these answers and pictures :) There's a new post up on my blog and I'd love to hear what you think of it, so feel free to stop by!

    ♡ veena | seveninchstilettos.com
    twitter/instagram: @veenamccoole

    ReplyDelete
  4. really cool interview, great post! love it!
    xx Kate

    The Style Department

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting info there!! Great idea to do an interview!!
    Loving the pictures :)

    Love from London xx

    http://www.lesvoyagesformentlajeunesse.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for all your lovely comments they make me smile :)

If you have any question email me; chicgeek.blogger@gmail.com

{Any hate or innapropriate language will be deleted}

Geek xx :)

 

Total Pageviews

Twitter Updates

Behind the blog

Translate Chic Geek Blogger; Fashion for all!